Welcome to February 2017!
A few key messages in this email – please read!
1. Results from the 2017 Canadian Tire National Championships
2. Skating Etiquette
3. 2017 Awards
4. Important Dates for February
1) Results from the 2017 Canadian Tire National Championships
So pleased to share that 10 of Calalta’s skaters not only made it to the Nationals but we brought home 2 – yes 2 medals!! Jessica-Lee and Jackson Behiel brought home the bronze to Alberta (first one in 20 years) in Novice Dance and Takara Dei and Josh Venema brought home a bronze as well in Novice Pairs! So pleased to see such our Dance and Pairs programs producing results!
Rounding out the 10 skaters we have Yujin Armstrong (Novice Men), Dustin Sherriff-Clayton (Senior Men), Pearl Kang and Cael Elford (Novice Dance) and Emily Mikulcik and Malcolm Kowan (Novice Dance).
2) Skating Etiquette
Time to review the rules again! Parents – please review these with your kids!
- Skaters in their program have the RIGHT of WAY
- Spin in the spinning zone – which is the middle of the ice
- Jump in the jumping zone – ends of the ice and corners
- If you have to socialize with your friends MOVE to the boards, no hanging out in the middle of the ice
- Enough of the nasty and intimidating moves on the ice – no need to cut people off or be rude!
3) 2017 Calalta Awards
The 2017 Awards banquet is almost here. We will be celebrating the banquet on Saturday May 27, 2017 at the Italian Club once again.
Calalta presents awards to numerous skaters for ‘Most Improved’ (for every group), Skater of the Year in every discipline, Recognition for those receiving their Gold Tests and of course the monetary awards.
This is always the ‘highlight’ of the season and as usual will be sold out! Information will be out soon and tickets will be available on Uplifter (Calalta’s registration site).
4) Important Dates for February 2017
|Fri Feb 3||Medicine Hat (South Region) Open Begins – Good Luck Skaters!|
|M/T/W Feb 13/14/15||Test Days at Jimmie Condon|
|Wed Feb 15||No CanSkate|
|Fri Feb 17||No CanSkate|
|Fri Feb 17||COP – No 7:15 Lift Class or 7:45-8:45 or 9-10 am Pairs Ice Sessions|
|Sat Feb 18||No CanSkate or Power Skating|
|Sun Feb 19||No stroking or off ice – all other sessions running|
|Mon Feb 20||Family Day – No ice at Jimmie Condon or COP|
|Tues Feb 21||No Group Sessions (HP/Jr Prep ice and off ice) – all other sessions running including the 6:10 off ice with Uschi|
|Wed Feb 22||COP – No 7:15 lift class or 7:45-8:45 am or 9-10 am Pairs Ice Session|
|Fri Feb 24||Rocky Mountain House (Central Region) Open Begins – Good Luck Skaters!|
|Wed Mar 1||COP No 7:45-8:45 am, 9-10 am Pairs Ice Session – have 7:45-8:30 am instead|